Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies-Healthy and Vegan

I am back from a weekend in Portland and I had a wonderful time! My parents and I left Saturday morning and arrived late afternoon. The intent of this trip was to simply get out and explore and so none of us had anything planned. Fortunately, I had researched vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Portland a few days before and made a list of places I wanted to try. The thing is, the food that I want to eat (vegan/sometimes raw/always healthy) isn't necessarily the food my parents want to eat. My parents always honor my food choices, but they aren't always jumping up and down for "raw, vegan pad Thai" if you know what I mean. As we were closely approaching Portland, my parents asked me, "So where do you want to go in Portland, and what do you want to do?" I responded with, "I just want to explore and I want to eat at nice restaurants and shop around". I was really thinking, "I want to eat at vegan restaurants and buy some hip clothes made out of recycled materials", but I restrained my inner hippie. I told my parents that as I was looking up places to go, I noticed a lot of restaurants were located on Alberta Street. Alberta Street here we come! Let me tell you, Alberta Street did not disappoint. I mean, any place that has the words "Go Vegan" with a heart written around it is my kind of place. My parents even liked it too; it also had a lot of wine shops and art galleries. We decided to eat lunch at a restaurant called, "Le Petite Provence". It wasn't vegan but my parents promised to buy me a vegan baked good. It's all about compromise. I had a quinoa tabbouleh salad with fresh bread and farmer's cheese:) Later, we walked around and I got a really good juice from this small juice stand and this amazing vegan brownie from a gluten free-plant based bakery!...Can I move here?! Later that night, we drove into Cannon Beach because we were staying at my dad's friend's house. The house was so adorable that I made the comment, "I want this house! I have to get my career going ASAP so I can make some money!" On Sunday, we spent most of the day in the car, taking the long way back home to see different parts of Washington State. We all had a great time and I loved exploring a new part of Portland. I was happy to be back home, but I was still thinking about one thing. That brownie. That amazing brownie. So fudgy and filled with bits of dark chocolate and cocoa nibs. I looked up the bakery on the Internet to see if maybe they had the recipe for the brownie online...hey, you never know until you try, right? Of course, I couldn't find it, so I resolved to make something else with cocoa nibs and I stumbled upon this recipe from the blog "Oh She Glows" for "Irresistible Chewy Trail Mix Cookies". I was sold on the recipe when I saw the extensive healthy ingredient list. As I was making these cookies, I was thinking, "I really hope that these turn out good and that my parents will eat them." Well, let me tell you, my dad took one bite and said, "Mmmm!! These are so good!" Score. Vegan cookie:1 vs Unhealthy cookie: 0.
The recipe for these cookies can be found here:
 http://ohsheglows.com/2013/08/20/irresistible-chewy-trail-mix-cookies-vegan-gluten-free/
I followed the recipe except I didn't have any raw nut butter on hand and substituted applesauce. They still turned out great! Not too sweet, moist and chewy!


Picture Time!

At "Le Petite Provence"

Lunch at "Le Petite Provence"

Yesss!!

Juice Truck Menu

Excuse my face, it was kind of windy


Los galletas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment