Thursday, August 22, 2013

On the Road Again...

On the road again. Just can't wait to get on the road again. The life I love is making music with my friends. And I can't wait to get on the road again. I am currently occupying my time watching the TV program, "Spain on the Road Again" and Willie Nelson's song is on repeat in my head. Watching "Spain on the Road Again" makes me fantasize about moving to Spain after falling in love with a handsome Spanish man and spending my time tending to my garden and winery and raising my two kids. One day it will happen...one day. Anyways, speaking of "on the road", this weekend my parents and I are taking a weekend trip to Portland. Although we are not going anywhere exotic or international, I love little weekend trips. They are the perfect way to adventure without getting homesick. Since the drive to Portland will take a few hours, I figured it would be wise if I made something to snack on for the drive there. I had remembered buying a small bag of poppy seeds at World Market a few weeks ago, and so I decided to make Lemon Poppy seed Bread. A classic. My high school used to sell these giant lemon poppy seed muffins in the morning and whenever I saw somebody eating them, I would just stare because it looked so good. You may ask, "Why didn't you just buy one Marissa?" Well, I will tell you, it was very simple. I never had cash on me. However, this bread will definitely make up for lost times. Plus it's made a little healthier with the addition of whole wheat flour and non-fat Greek yogurt! Oh and I also wanted to share with you all the recipe for this baked pasta that I made for dinner last night. It was, as my friend Katie would say, "Yums". It was baked pasta with roasted vegetables and three cheeses. A mouthful but totally delicious. 

Lemon Poppy seed Bread
(Recipe credit to: http://www.fitmamarealfood.com/lemon-poppyseed-bread/) I followed the recipe exactly except that I also added about 1 teaspoon of almond extract. I love almond flavor with lemon poppy seed bread.

For the Baked Pasta, the recipe was by Giada de Laurentiis, and here is the link:   http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-penne-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe/index.html

Oh and p.s., I recently made home made thin mints and my mom took them to work with her. She told me that they were a big hit and that people wanted the recipe. Unfortunately, I didn't get photos of them, but I will certainly share the recipe! They truly tasted like Thin Mints!
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001370.html

And now pictures!!!!

Beautiful Fuchsia's in our garden! We call the hummingbird that feeds off of it, "Jack", after the wonderful Mr. Jack Johnson:)


Bread with marmalade



Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables


Our eggplant in our garden is finally coming in! Can't wait to cook with it!

Oh p.p.s.! Since I am going to Portland this weekend, I would love to receive comments about suggestions on where to go/eat. So excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment